Question
Posted by: MOSIDI | 2012/03/15

Working Hours

I am thinking of resinging, where I work its now difficult for me to keep up, i am working as an personal assistant but i am bound to be in the office daily until 18h00 sometimes later than that, i have a young child whom I must collect after work and now this is causing problem for me and husband. He works in the afternoons till late, so he coan''t collect the child either. I am not too sure how to handle this, our department works with deadlines so i can''t just leave the office at 16h30, since i have tasks allocated to me and if i leave I will cost the company to loose money. I tried to look for another job but no luck, i am 36 years old and i am not sure how to go about this. When ever I go to bed, i am very tired to cook for my family or sit, i am worried it will afect me badly as I am hiv+.

Sounds like an ill-organized and inconsiderate boss you're working for. Working late is often not about the quantity of work needing to be done, but the timing and planning of it. An efficient boss should be able to give his PA work early in the day so it can be finished in time for her to leave work at a reasonable time, and similarly with work with a potentially longer deadling - giving piles of work at the end of the day is unreasonable and unnecessary.
But try to see if this can be modified. Have a calm discussion with your boss, pointing out the severe problems caused to your personal life by the timing of your work, and asking to explore, with him, ways of managing the work that willenable you to leave at a reasonable time. Yes, maybe some work could be taken home, if dealing with an emergency, but this shouldn't be allowed to become a routine. Or they'll soon expect you to work late AND take work home. It may still be possible for you to connect to the office server from home.
Is there someone with a HR function who you could discuss this with ?

6

Posted by: Lisa2 | 2012/03/16

I am sorry to hear this. Check if you can connect to your server from home. I connect to our server and work emails from home. Check with your IT dept or IT service provider if you can work from home.

The scanning and e-mailing part will be a problem. May I ask what type of business this is, that works around the clock.

Alternatively, just keep looking. You may want to look at moving your daughter to a school close to your offices, if you don''t find a solution. You can then fetch her at 4:30pm and maybe take her to the office with you. You can then supervise her homework, whilst you finish up.

I know this is not ideal, but atleast then she has been collectde from school, and you have spent time with her.

I also suggest cooking larger portion meals over weekends and freezing them. When you get home, just pop them in the microwave. Or take them out the freezer in the morning when you are leaving for work. When you get home, you just warm up on the stove.

You may also want to think of putting your meat/chicken, etc in the oven in the morning, whilst getting ready for work. IIt may be ready before you leave for work. When you get home, you can just prepare salad, mashed potatoes &  your other veggies, etc.

Reply to Lisa2
Posted by: MOSIDI | 2012/03/16

Most of the things we do, they are on the internal system, hence I can''''t take it home. And some document management work on them on the latest hour, afterwards I must scan and email. So taking work home its not possible. I am just so frustrated.

Reply to MOSIDI
Posted by: MOSIDI | 2012/03/16

Most if the things we do, they are on the internal system, hence I can''t take it home. And sone document management work on them on the latest our, then I must scan and email. So taking work home its not possible. I am just so frustrated.

Reply to MOSIDI
Posted by: Lisa2 | 2012/03/16

Is there a possibility of taking work home? If some of your work can be done from home, then ask if this is a possibility. Explain your situation, but also tell them that under no circumstances will your work suffer if you leave at 4:30. You will go fetch your kid, do your work at home &  then finish up with the work you took home.

And PAs do get replaced quickly. PA jobs tend to pay very well. I work for an ngo &  earn less than an average PA. If you can do without your salary, then you should consider being home. I have 3 children and wish every day that I could.

I get home around 6pm, cook, finish homework and I have a little baby still to tend to at night. I only get to bed around 2am sometimes.

I know how hectic it can be once you get home, with all the home and family activities. But if you can get some work done, then please do so.

Reply to Lisa2
Posted by: Romany | 2012/03/16

As a woman, your child and family is the most important.
If you can afford to resign and be a housewife and mother, I say do it.
It will mean the world to your baby, your husband and your health.
Jobs are VERY scarce and in my opinion, that is why companies are taking on a " take it or leave it attitude" . Yes, you can insist that the Labour Law is enforced. IE sonly 40 hours a week etc etc, but will that get you a nice atmosphere at work? No, PA''s are replaced at the drop of a hat and they will make it so uncomfortable for you that you have no choice but to resign.....

Reply to Romany