Posted by: Riley | 2011-03-31

Working conditions

My husband is a diesel mechanic. He works for GM. For the last 3yrs the MD has promised to build the " Trucks Side"  a proper workstation, but up to date, nothing has come of it. He sometimes has to work out in the street on Trucks!!

In summer the temp can reach up to 41 deg, no shade for poor Hubby. In winter - the same. Theres no cemement for the trucks when they need to be jacked-up and I fear everyday that a truck falls on my husband.

Is this legal?? What can we do?

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

re: Working Conditions

The working conditions per each different employment differs vastly, it is legal.

Posted by: Purple | 2011-04-05

In terms of health and safety if there is an obvious violation - like a truck could fall on him because it is not properly raised - then it breaches health and safety legislation.

In addition to contacting the head office ofhte company concerned, it is probably a good idea to contact the department of labour and ask them to send a health and safety inspector around.

Reply to Purple
Posted by: Riley | 2011-04-04

Boetie - thank u so much for your reply. I also read somewhere that these working conditions isnt legal.

Labour Lawyer - thanx for taking the time to answer my question, but i think you should read up about this, because really - i DID read that its not legal, maybe in the Working conditions in the labour law or something.

Reply to Riley
Posted by: Boetie | 2011-04-03

When U say he works for GM then I take it U mean a GM franchise dealer. I find this whole situation very strange beacause GM r very strict about their dealerships. They have very strict specifications to which all their delaerships have to conform - corporate image etc. I know because I worked for a GM dealership for 22 yrs. He should either contact his union or GM S.A. + report the unsatisfactory + dangerous working conditions. Either way something must get done. General Motors S.A. will never allow one of their dealerships to do this because if the dealership does not conform then they loose the franchise. Maybee the MD, (dealer principle) is hiding things from the people at GM S.A. as well as from his staff. There is something very fishy about the whole thing. Knowing GM S.A. as I do there is no way they r going to allow one of their dealerships to work on Isuzu trucks out in the street. U guys must take the matter further as I think your hubby''s MD is bulls*#^tting his staff as well as the people at GM S.A. because General Motors S.A. would NEVER appoint them as truck dealers without a proper workshop built to THEIR specifications.

Reply to Boetie