Question
Posted by: Hannah | 2010/04/12

Work Woes- why does it irritate me so much???

I work in a home office, open plan, only 4 people (5 if my bosses wife graces us with her presence). The people that I work with drive me crazy, especially my bosses wife (we''ll call her Betty). Betty got some sort of internal infection in December, had to be admitted to hospital twice (although she didn''t stay longer than a day) and has not been at work since the beginning of the year (although she is still getting her R18k salary). She comes in every now again into the office and she tells our accountant (we''ll call her Gina) about her bodily woes. Betty come in and work for like 30 minutes and joke around about how she doesn''t earn enough, bla bla bla. I mean why does she even bother coming in at all? I suffer from low iron and low blood pressure and am constantly tired and I have not been on sick leave since 2008 but I never complain. She has enough energy to run to the shops every day and to shout at her domestic and to do her therapy (she does reflexology or aromatherapy or something for clients) but she doesn''t have enough energy to sit at a desk in front of a computer???And the way Gina turns around every time Betty comes in, asks her how she''s doing, how she''s feeling, she like stares at her with admiration- it is SO ANNOYING!!!! Gina also forgets how to do some of her work and is always turning around and asking me questions about her job. It''s the same for our receptionist who is moving more and more into the maintenance side of our wok- she forgets what my boss tells her to do and she''ll ask me. Or she''ll say one thing to me, one thing to my boss and one thing to the client and get us all confused. She didn''t have any experience when coming to work for us yet she gets paid the same amount as I do. These people that I work with are just so irritating and I don''t know how to deal with it. I want to leave but in a recession it''s risky, especially as there aren''t many companies that do the same work we do. How do I deal with these people?

Sounds sadly typical of too many ofices these days. Don't leave, refuse to allow them to upset you, and start looking for alternatives meanwhile

4
Posted by: Jay | 2010/04/13

Walk away

Reply to Jay
Posted by: Hannah | 2010/04/12

Thanks for the reply Happiness but I love life and I love my job and I have nothing to be bitter about. I just can''t stand annoying people.

Reply to Hannah
Posted by: Happiness | 2010/04/12

Hi Hannah

You sound like a very bitter person, bitter about everything even the things outside your control. It has nothing to do with your current job but everything to do with the glassess you choose to wear when you look at the world around you! My point is you can resign today and move somewhere else but you''ll find another Betty or Gina because you want this drama. You are obsessed about other peoples'' imperfections and you are negleting yours. There is a Japanese saying which says " Don''t judge a man until you have walked a mile in his boots" 

Reply to Happiness