Question
Posted by: Zee | 2010/10/06

Work with no salary review

Hi all

Please advise.

when you have been identified as potential manager and are being trained by current manager to take over, in an ideal and fair world, how long should this " training"  take? 6 months? 9 months or even longer?

My boss was fired in February and they brought in a retired experienced guy to work with me from march. He has been “ training”  me and is happy with my work and has been telling me I will be the manager when he goes. His contract ends at the end of the year and nothing has been said about a replacement. The HR guy has hinted that they are considering making me a manager but this was just in an informal conversation. I do all the work, my “ manager”  only comes in for a few hours in a day just to see im on track. Im really tired and I feel this “ training”  process is taking forever and it is unfair. I feel the only reason they are throwing in the possibility of me getting this position in January is simply to make sure I don’ t ask for an increase or complain even though the scope of my work has drastically changed.

People say I must be patient and wait until January. Im saying I want an offer before we close in December. Is that unreasonable? Jobs are scarce but exploitation is not nice. Im always tired and im working really hard and it is just frustrating not to be rewarded for it.

As much as it is benefitting my career to be doing this work, im not happy with the arrangement. Please talk some sense into my head or are my concerns valid? I need a new perspective.

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

re: Work with no salary review

You do not have the right in law to have your salary reviewed. This is merely a claim that you would have as opposed to a right. We suggest that you raise a grievance.

2
Posted by: Labour Lawyer | 2010/10/18

re: Work with no salary review

Reply to Labour Lawyer
Posted by: NJM | 2010/10/06

I think you will be promoted after the guy who trains you has left.
i dont think they will get somebody in this position, it''s yours it''s just a matter of time.
Or you can ask your HR department.

Reply to NJM