Question
Posted by: Keletso | 2010-10-12

work troubles

we have a new manager (HRM)who started a month ago. and the old manager is still working here but heading comms department.

the new hr manager is rude and if she ask me something and i dont know it she gets upset and tell me that Im incompetent HR officer, that cant manipulate figures in excel or use powerpoint appropriately. she hammers me on HR manager tasks that i do not know and if I request her to ask the prevous manager (who is still in the building) she refuses. i know my work and i dont know my previous manager''s job.

new hr manager has over 10yrs experience according to her cv and yet she herself does not know how to use exel/powerpoint and other systems, yet she has the nerve to get angry that i dont know microsoft well. she makes a scene int he corridor and other coworkers asked my why she is so rude and treating me like this. and yet she expects me to give her a lift several times in my car.

i asked for a meeting to and she says she is busy. this thing really stresses me. not sure how to deal with it?

She sounds comprehensively awful and incompetent at her new job, doesn't she ? Its like having a fireman who goes round setting fires.
The trouble with her claim of "10 years experience" is that some people spend 10 years gaining increasing actual experience, but some have such a closed mind that they get 1 years experience repeated 10 times.
Is it possible for you to tactfully approach the previous HR head to ask how best to deal with this problem ? This one sounds very underqualified for what this job entails.
Purple's suggestions make excellent sense, as usual.

4
Posted by: keletso | 2010-10-12

i do not have sour grapes at all. my curent role as hr practitioner is very stressful and im ok with it. our boss offered me to act as HRM and i refused because i was not gonna be paid for it. and i will be expected to my job and the HRM job.this is because i have acted 2 times before on other posts and i never got a cent. then i suggested that he advertise the job. and thats how we got the temp HRM.

i have received several awards in my job for good performance. im confident of my abilities and competencies.

my concern is just this hammering that im getting from her. she does not read email properly and if i send he an excel file she comes back wanting me to sort it according to age or so. and i show her all the time. but I cannot teach her the things that i dont know, like the things that the previous manager did.

i always offfer to find out if i dont know something and then i will give her the solution later. she said that the director did not train her so I must not expect that she must train me. what is that?

in my current role i dont do IR/ER but Im aware of the grievence procedure. I will meet her later for discussion.

Reply to keletso
Posted by: Purple | 2010-10-12

A bit worrying when its the HR manager who behaves this way.

If she won''t meet with you, send her an e-mail (spend a day or two writing preparing it and then wait a day, read it again and then send it to ensure there is no anger or emotion in it).
Spell out that you have tried to meet her about your concerns but that she says she is too busy.
List each concern and why it is aproblem - that she shouts at you in front of colleagues and it embarassess you, that she expects you to do secreterial work when your job is as an HR officer (to do recruitment, discipline etc) and that she probably has a secretary or assistant or an HR administrator to work with the figures and so on.
Tell her that you would like a chance to meet with her so that she can give you an idea of what her expectations of you are.

If she doesn''t respond to the mail or does so negatively, then make an appointment to see her boss and raise your issues as a grievance. This has to be dealt with within about 2 days or so - check your policies. If he or she does not attempt to resolve the situation, go to their manager.

It is concerning though that as an HR officer, who advises others on these work relationship issues, that you don''t know how to apply them to yourself.

She sounds like she has been promoted beyond her level of ability. When you tell her to ask the previous HR manager, you make her feel belittled, which is why she responds like that. Once she finds her feet she might be more pleasant, but it sounds like she''s a bit incompetent.
Even if you don''t know the details of what the HR managers role is, as someone who has been in the department for a while, you do know more than a new person about your company policies etc - which is why she is asking you - and responding negatively makes you sound like you have sour grapes for not getting the job - is this the case?

When she asks for a lift, just say no you can''t. IF she asks for a reason, you don''t have to give one - it is your car. She''s the more senior person, she should be the one who gives you a lift.

Reply to Purple
Posted by: Whena | 2010-10-12

I would suggest that you write her a nice e-mail

Reply to Whena