Question
Posted by: yoliswa | 2011/02/22

work stress and burnout

i started a new job 4 months ago and i knock off at 19h00 everyday. my manager raised a concern that Im not perfoming and does not know what im doing during the day. i dont know what to do because i dont have family time anymore and work late every day and sometimes come on weekends and now to be told what im doing is not enough, is really disturbing me. when i accepted this job, i was told the working hours are from 8 to 4h30 but now work more hours and its not enough. i have an appointment with the shrink next week and i thought i write to cybershink so long cos im stressed and i am not sure how to handle this situation. im miss dropping off my 2 boys at school and helping them with homeworks.

should life be like this? the company that i work for is doing very interesting things, that will grow my career but at the same time my spiritual life and family life is sacrificed. and we talked with the boss and the advice was I need to put more hours. eg: leave office at 19hoo and when you get home work until 12h00 or so to get the work done. so im not sure what else to do.

my coworkers are also complaining and sometimes leave late too. im battling cos its a new environment with new systems and im trying hard to be upto speed. please advice

I answred this one, one of the other times you posted the same question.
Cutie's right - he needs to read the Lanour Law, and a good labour lawyer could advise you usefully.

5

Posted by: yoliswa | 2011/02/23

i talked with boss and he said there is nothing he can do. he leaves office at 21h00 daily and said is not getting paid for it as well. then he takes work home and work until 1pm and he said its working for him and his body is used to it. and i can do the same or not do the same, but at the end of the day he wants the work completed and on his desk. this is in one of the best gov departments and im shocked this is happening cos i thought they were an employer of choice

Reply to yoliswa
Posted by: Cutie | 2011/02/23

The Labour Law covers work hours. Employers may not alter the Law.

Reply to Cutie
Posted by: Joe | 2011/02/23

When you get home in the evening, start spreading your CV around to agencies. After that, write down what tasks are most tedious for you at work and see if you can't come up with ways of doing them faster. Also, try and find out how much you deliver, compared to your coworkers. It sounds like you're either working for a financial institution, or a pretentious BEE company. Their employees all have the same grievances.

Reply to Joe
Posted by: Casey | 2011/02/23

Talk to your boss about what is happening.

Reply to Casey