Posted by: Aneleh | 2009-03-18

Work situation

I would like to know my rights in the following situation.

I have been working for a company for just a little over a year. When I started I was giving a one year contract. I went on holiday before my contract was expired. I am working here for my second month without a new contract. I have contact by boss via e-mail 3times to remind him that I need a new contract. I haven' t received any reply.

I am currently looking for another job. Firstly because I don' t get a raise, which I have learned that I should ask for first before it is given. And secondly because I have no contract and I feel unsafe inmy position because I can be asked to go at anytime, because again, NO contract.

A second question, first one being what are my rights in this situation, IF I do get another job, must I give one months notice like my previous contract said?

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

Without a contract you in fact are on a permanent employment contract.

If you get another job you must give 30days notice.

Posted by: Boetie | 2009-03-22

Contact your nearest Dept. of labour office. They should b able to advise U. ( same ofiice to register for UIF) Regards

Reply to Boetie