Posted by: uncertain | 2009-03-31

work rights

hi there,

I would just like to know whats my rights and what can i do in the following situations.

I have been working at the same place now for a year, i was temporary employed to help out while a lady at work was on meternity leave, after she came back they decided to keep me on a more permanent basis but i have been here for a year and i dont have any contract so i fear that they wil be able to tell me to leave whenever without anny valid reoson, i dont have a job discription so everybody that i work with in this place thinks i am here to do there little dirty works that they dont feel like doing, i dont feel comfortable with doing everybodys small dirty work for them and then have to do my own work as well.

everybody takes sick leave, or anual leave, but as soon as i take one day for sick leave eventhough the doc booked me for a week people at work phones me(not the boss) and talks to me as if i am nothing and tells me that they give me a half an hour to be at work even after i did phone the boss to tell him im not comming in bcoz of illness and he says its all right, in my hole year of working here i onley took of 1 day for sick leave and my doc booked me for a week, only one day in a year and i get that type of treatment from people that im working with and they are not even my manager or boss

what can i do to get thet contract and if this happens again?
o, and are you suppose to get a raise and when, bcoz i am still getting paid what they paid me when i stared here in a temporary posission

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

It is important for you to contact Human Resources and ask for a job description and a letter of appointment. In terms of the basic conditions of employment act you are entitled to a letter of appointment and you are entitled to all the rights as contained under the BCEA such as sick leave, annual leave and family responsibility leave. There is no right for an increase in salary, this is just an interest.