Question
Posted by: Princess | 2010/06/28

work related...pls advice

my boss was suspended in Feb. Since 1 march i have been doing my work and hers , reporting to the MD. Everyone is impressed with my work and I have been getting a lot of compliments. My boss has since resigned and wont be returning however the position wont be filled, instead they will hire a senior executive whom i will be reporting to. that changes the scope of my work completely. I spoke to the HR lady and she mentioned that the appointment will mean i will carry on doing my work and what my ex boss used to do as it is obvious the new exec will be more focused on strategic decisions and my reports to report to the Board. I am looking forward to the challenge and i really appreciate that they trust me enough to report direct to someone who sits in the board.

HOWEVER

I personally feel as much as I appreciate having a job when many people are out in the streets, I think it would only be fair for the new responsibilities to come with a salary review. I have 2 people reporting to me and I am also managing their work. Am I unfair to request that they pay me more simply bcos i do more work now and I have proven myself to be capable? I have made up my mind about asking for an increase. I just want opinions on the timing. Do I do it now after 4 months of this new arrangement or do I perhaps wait for longer? How long don’ t know please advice

Sounds like a rather unfair situation - did you get paid extra for acting up and doing 2 jobs ? It seems to unfortunate that people who face serious evidence of malpractice, get rewarded by an extended period "suspended" on full pay for no work, and are then apparently allowed to resign without real penalties. Meanwhile either someone else has to do their work, or the work doesnt get done.

Maybe you should speak to a good labour lawyer - major changes in the nature of your job could be unfair. Upgrading the content and difficulty of the job without upgrading the salary seems just infair.

5
Posted by: Princess | 2010/06/29

we got increases in April. the next one is due in April 2011. Thats another 10 months to go.

Reply to Princess
Posted by: JP | 2010/06/29

I think don''t rush, take it easy when is your salary increase. Wait until you receive your salary that when you can make an formal offer.

Reply to JP
Posted by: Princess | 2010/06/28

Thanks so much for your opinion. I have not been paid anything to compensate for the extra work. I " complained"  to the HR lady but she just said they will look at my salary, that was in April!!! I am thinking of making a formal offer.

Reply to Princess
Posted by: mikky | 2010/06/28

No - This is in effect a promotion and should come with a salary review... If not now, then at least when your annual review comes up.

Reply to mikky