Question

Work Problems.

HI doc. Maybe your not the right person to talk to, and I''m sorry to bother you with this, but it''s been buggin me for a while. One question first. Would you ask an accountant, to do a doctor''s work? Why not? Because it''s not his trade, he''s not trained to do it, it''s not his calling. So why then, do you let somebody be a supervisor, if she''s not able to do so. I''ve got no authority whatsoever, cos it''s not in my nature. I''ve got no manegerial skills. And on top of it all, the people don''t listen to me. They don''t care what I say or don''t say. So why am I here? I did it because management asked me nicely, cos I know more about the work than anybody else. But I''m not being compensated for taking everyone''s crap everyday. You know, you can only bring a horse to the water, but you can''t make it drink. These people don''t want to drink, In fact, I''ve never seen people, so eager not to drink, than them. How do you lead people that does not want to be lead by me? Management doesn''t want to take me out of this position, cos I know too much, and the others don''t. I try to have them move me somewhere else, so that it doesn''t look like I''m not fit to do my job, cos it will look bad on my CV in the future. I can''t resign, I need this job, but I can''t carry on like this, everyday is a struggle and a battle for me. I don''t want to do it anymore, but it seems like there is no way out for me, and it''s driving me nuts. I apply for other posistions, but it''s just not happening.

I suppose part of the problem is that while the esential qualifications for working as a doctor, or an accountant, or an engineer, are fairly explicitly laid down, qualifications to be a Supervisor are not, and each organization interprets it as it best suits them.
But if your company has respected your knowledge and abilities enough to appoint you as a supervisor, they should have also provided you with extra training, courses, etc., to enable you to gain the necessary extra skills to do the job well. It is highly irresponsible for them not to so.
Unique's coments are useful. IS there an HR person you could discuss this with ?

3
Posted by: Me | 2010/11/15

Firstly, if you knew that you don''t have managerial skills and you have no authority at all, who on earth did you accept the position in the first place. I understand you said you did it because they asked you, but now all it seems to have done is make you a very unhappy person.

Secondly, there are many many training courses that you can and should be exposed to to help you acquire the skills for your supervisory role. Try to source some that are relevant to the skills that you say you are lacking, then ask your Company to send you on one or two of these. They are obligated to train you in the role they have promoted you to. Also identify with someone who is able to manage people, and then ask your company if that person can mentor and coach you until you feel more comfortable in your supervisory role.

Good luck.

Reply to Me
Posted by: Unique | 2010/11/15

some organisations have a career path where one is recognise &  tasked as a specialist. Basically one is at the same level as managers (according to the org structure) but they don''t have managerial responsibility. People consult the specialist on content knowledge etc., the speicialist does not deal every day rubbish like who pitch for work, who didn''t, who''s angry with who, who''s perfoming, who''s getting an increase etc.

Try big companies or ask your current employer to create this role - so they continue to have access to your knowledge - and put a manager for management work.

Reply to Unique