Posted by: keke | 2011-11-22

work issue

My work is very demanding and i always knock off late and cannot spend time with my kids. now i have resigned and some clients are saying that i did not stay long in the company.

its correct, i worked only for 9 months and im ok with the company. the hr job i do is ok and i have a great relationship with clients. but at the same time my problems as an employee are not listened to. problems such as working late and too much work load and to many reports that we write, that are needed in a short space of time.

i think that some of the clients are ok to feel that way, that i never commited to the company and that i do not take the work seriously or that i job hop. but as an individual, i am the one who feel the stress, the frustration due to working long hours. hence i decided to quit and accept another job offer with slightly less salary. Am I unreasonable?

Expert ImageExecutive coach

Hi Keke,
Thank you for your post.
You are not unreasonable, is the short answer.

We all need to manage our time well, and that includes time with our children, partners, family, pets, time at the gym or other exercise. If we don't and always knock off late, we can end up suffering from long term stress, or burnout, which is not healthy.
We then feel guilty as we don't perform well at work or at home, and this results in a negative downward spiral making the problem even worse. It is up to you and your manager to ensure that you maintain a healthy balance as it is in everyone's best interest that you are bright-eyed and bushy-tailed at work.

Looking forward, you have the chance at your new place of employment to, at an early stage explain to your manager why you want to live a balanced life and how this will make you more productive. You can cite your own experience as an example, so that your new employer does not think you are shirking your duties. They might even admit that they would like to be as brave as you.
Speaking up might not be easy, but the alternative is worse.

Good Luck