Question
Posted by: JB | 2011/08/01

Work and money

Hi Coach,

I started at a new work 1month ago. I was offered R 17 000 per month and accepted it, but I see the previous person got R 21 000.

I want to ask for more money but is it a good idea. Would it not be seen that I am greedy? Or disloyal?What should I do?

Expert ImageExecutive coach

Hi JB,
You're probably feeling a bit disappointed, because you valued yourself at R17 000 per month, and the company valued the job at R21 000.
The bad news is that the time for negotiation is before you sign the contract.
The good news is, you now know that the value of the job is at least R21 000, and if you play your cards right you can aim for that at the end of your probation period, which would be the correct time to ask. You will have to motivate why you deserve that so start now keeping good records of what you do.
Of course, it also depends on the skills that the last person brought to that job.

1
Posted by: Executive Coach | 2011/08/01

Hi JB,

Reply to Executive Coach