Question
Posted by: JB | 2011/07/18

Work and money

Hi CS. I started at a new work 1month ago. I was offered R 17 000 per month and accepted it, but I see the previous person got R 21 000. I want to ask for more money but is it a good idea. Would it not be seen that I am greedy? Or disloyal?What should I do?

Is there any absolutely right answer to a question like that ? Maybe the other person had more qualifications than you, or had worked there longer and accrued raises ? Can you perhaps just discuss it calmly with your boss, saying that you noticed this discrepancy and are puzzled, and wondering whether perhaps you should ask for a higher wage ?

3
Posted by: Gogo | 2011/07/18

Dont even go there, you accepted an offer for R17k why now after a month you want and increase of R4k its not fare.Just enjoy your new job and just forget about money

Reply to Gogo
Posted by: Liza | 2011/07/18

You''ll definitely be seen as greedy. You accepted their offer and a month later you want more... Not a good impression to create with a new employer. Do you have the same qualifications and years of experience in the job as the previous person? Is your productivity the same or better? People who''ve been with a company for longer will usually be earning more (except where people job-hop for monetary reasons - which creates a bad impression on your CV anyway)

Why base your happiness on whether you''re earning less than the previous person? You were happy with their offer or you wouldn''t have taken the job. So stop comparing and rather base your happiness on personal achievements... Anyone can job-hop and push up their salary. It doesn''t bring happiness!

Reply to Liza