Question
Posted by: Brione | 2012-06-07

Work

I work for a corporate.It runs on office politics.You kind of have to try and work around it.The executives are literally always bible punching us to all be transparent and all that goes with it, but they can''t do it themselves.One person in particular has risen up the ranks because the head honcho is totally taken in by him and the rest of us arent.He issues orders and one must just make it happen.U may not show emotional.He is so prone to emotional outbursts and lashing out before checking the facts.I stood my ground and we had a hellsa row.I know for a fact he knows that I am no timid mouse and am not intimidated by him whih I think really irks him as most are.Since he is senior and I am not I expect to get walking papers.Except that I am really good at my job and he employed new people that need me to help them.It has gotten me so down I had to go to the GP yesterday and he prescribed anti-depressants.Plus I have a chest infection but am too scared to take off work.I am looking for a new job.He has every intention of going straight to the top and trampling over whoever to get there.He has become a lot worse since I think he realises he may have bitten off more than he can chew (he got rid of the oldies with all the experience) and now the newies are battling.Nope can''t go to HR either.
If you stand your ground he just says I am not interested but you are expected to stand there and take his verbal abuse.
How does one deal one on one with a person like this?

Psychological counselling like CBT may be more useful to you than antidepressants. Think about it. Good responses from other readers. Verbal abuse, or other attempts to make your working life so unpleasant as to force you to choose to resign, are not allowed.
THe CCMA are idiots if they fail to notice a pattern of a company that is happy to pay the fines and continues to abuse employees.
Fighting against a combative guy directly may please him, give him excuses to do what he wants to do, and doesn't show you in a good light. Being entirely passive and accepting may be hard, but more frustrating for him. And a middle way, largely ignoring him, listening to his rants and saying something calm like "How interesting" also frustrates him but doesnt help him be unpleasant. What's the point of abusing someone who doesn't seem to feel it ?
And, until a better job turns up, wait to enjoy his inevitable downfall when it comes

7
Posted by: Romany | 2012-06-07

CS is spot on!

Reply to Romany
Posted by: Brione | 2012-06-07

Yes Cybershrink I am going to enjoy his downfall because I think he will head for one. Mr Know-It-All over and above those that have been here over 20 years and counting!
Yes I think " How Interesting"  is a really good way to let him know what I think without saying it.
I will be passive and agree to everything.
Darn though I cannot show emotion I guess that means I cannot smile either...
Yes, I can take them to the CCMA and trust me they will punish me in one way or the other. It is like an office worker joining the union. You can do it...BUT Employers know jobs are scarce and they therefore abuse us in so many ways. Not only the poorest of the poor. And they ask WHY ARE WE SO ANGRY?

Reply to Brione
Posted by: Matt | 2012-06-07

One on One wont work out for you as to me it sounds that the person is underestimating everyone and he is not ready to listen to anyone else.So dont try and distinguish fire with another fire.i hope you know your rights as an employee.

So to me the person is violating your rights and he is scting against the all the legislations that govern emeployers and employees.so made him taste what its good for him.TAKE HIM TO CCMA.Yes you alone can take him but i dont think it will work out for you.My advice is USE THE LAW

Reply to Matt
Posted by: Ref | 2012-06-07

Take the damn company to CCMA for intimdating you and violating your rights as an employee

Reply to Ref
Posted by: Brione | 2012-06-07

Hi Ricky

They are rich and happily pay employees to leave and the fines of the CCMA.
It all looks good on paper in reality it is not.
Also regarding Grievances and all that, try putting one in LOL
I need to know how to deal with him one on one
Problem is that maybe it is fighting fire with fire, maybe I should pretend to be a timid little mouse.

Reply to Brione
Posted by: Ricky | 2012-06-07

If the company refuses to do anything about it, you can approach the Dpt of Labour or CCMA. There are laws that protect employees against bullies such as this. Please google " harrassment in the workplace"  or log onto South African Labour Guide, where you should find more information which I trust will assist you in dealing with this problem. No-one (no matter what his position in the Company) may verbally abuse an employee. One good thing, the person who rises through the ranks rapidly, is often the one who falls the hardest! Good luck Brione!

Reply to Ricky