Question
Posted by: Andre | 2010/09/08

Word loss

I meet strangers on a daily basis but am a reserved personality. Usually every conversation is fine even though I start out anxious but calm down quickly. One day I started speaking to a stranger, I found I struggled to speak. I wasn''t nervous really but it was like my mouth couldn''t say the word my brain was thinking, I also stuttered which I''ve never done before. It lasted for about 3-4 minutes. It hasn''t happened again though even though I meet strangers everyday. Sometimes one of my eyes for unknown reason feels like it pulls to one side. This happened a few minutes before I spoke to this particular person. Could it be related? Is it something I should get checked?

Sounds like a variety of social anxiety disorder, a somewhat more severe form of natural shyness. And of course, if there is any difficulty and you become aware of it and then worried about it, this inflates the anxiety, and so on. You may be able to deal with this by simply recognizing it for what it is - a temporary bit of anxiety which will pass, and just cary on through it. The more one gets worried about it ( fear of fear ) and starts to avoid situations in which this could happen, the more it grows. But the more one weathers it out, shrinks it into proportion, and refuses to allow it to become a Big Deal, the more it tends to fade away.
If it persists and continues to trouble you, see a CBT style shrink for a few sessions to learn how to relax when you need to, and how to defuse these trigger situations

1