Posted by: Fan | 2009-07-15

Woolworths Veggie Soup - carb?

HI Diet Doc
Thank you for a fantastic forum and valuable advice.
Woolworths has two fresh veg soups that I like - the Chunky Veg and Veg &  Barley. They have a carbohydrate value of 1,8g and 2,4g per 100g respectively and are both low fat. Do these count as vegetables only or as starchy veg and therefore carbohydrates? I' ve sometimes finished the whole packet 600g for dinner - is this bad if trying to loose 3kg as I' ve heard its better to have fewer carbs after 5pm? What is the carb value per 100g that categorises a food as carbohydrate?
Thank you!

Dear Fan
Thank you too for your kind words. Generally speaking, for example, for exchange lists, starchy vegetables contain approx. 7 g of carbohydrate per 1/2 cup or 100g, while bread exchanges contain about 15 g of carbohydrate per servings (e.g. 1 slice of bread weighing about 25 g). If we use the latter as an example, then per 100g a carbohydrate food would contain 7 x 4 = 28 g of carbs. The 600g soups therefore contain 6 x 1,8 = 10,8 g of carbs (Chunky veg soup) and 6 x 2,4 = 14,4g of carbs (Veg and Barley soup), thus I would classify them both as medium-carb foods IF you have the whole 600 g in one meal. There is no scientific reason that I have come across that supports the theory that one should have "fewer carbs after 5 pm".
Enjoy your soup