Question
Posted by: T | 2009/03/13

Wondering

2 of my 3 kids have ADD. My son has now been diagnosed with aspergers and depression aswell! He is on a mood stabilizer at age 12. Does my bipolar play a part in all of his diagnoses?

I don't think there's any relationship between your having Bipolar disorder and Aspergers or ADD. If one parent has Bipolar Disorder, a child's long-term risk of Bipolar Disorder is higher than in a child where neither parent has the diagnosis, but it not substantially high. If BOTH parents have Bipolar, the risk is higher still, but still not overwhelming. Remember, Bipolar Disorder often arises in peopl with absolutely no family history of it.