Question
Posted by: Alal | 2009/11/04

Women with broad shoulders and back

Hi i have about 8kg to loose to be somewhere in the middle of the right weight for my height as per the calculator tools on this site and also to be at a BMI of 22/23. I am eating a sensible well bal mostly low GI diet and i try to exercise 4-5 times per wk, mostly brisk walking and joggin on treadmill and on a stat bike - i do 40-45 min a session, i also have a 2kg dumbell which i use for my arms, i now and then do a yoga/ball video maybe once a wk would like to incl that 3x a wk though.

My dilemma: genetically not only do i have all or most fat deposited in the abdomen, esp after 2 caesars but my worst concern is i have broad shoulders, thin thighs! when i loose weight my thighs loose centimeteres faster than arms or anywhere else. So i am built a bit like a V while i have lost most of the baby fat on my back i still feel my shoulders are too broad:
Questions:
What exercise should i do or AVOID? so as not to make broader shoulders and back? can i continue with a 4kg dumbell instead of the 2kg? Will cardio help me get smaller here? Pls help i hate the broad shoulders and what can i do to enhance them and make the proportionate to rest of body so that i actually work on this neg feature rather than make it worse!!!????

Thank a lot!

Hi Alal

A lot of it is genes, as you point out, and so no promises here. Also, the shape of our skeleton is not something we can control, and so if you have broad shoulders, that may not be something that exercise can sort out.

The only thing you can do is continue to do the very best exercise and diet that you can. Obviously, you don't want to build muscle in the shoulders, and so you should avoid any heavy lifting in the upper body, especially in exercises like shoulder press or bench press.

But other than this, I'm afraid there's no targeting of the area, you just have to continue with the cardio training, though you probably want to avoid swimming and rowing, but should stick to cycling, walking, running and so forth, to focus on the lower body.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2009/11/09

Hi Alal

Reply to fitnessdoc