Question
Posted by: docky | 2009-08-04

womb srubbing &  laporascopy

dear doc

i would jst like to know,what do u think of wob scrubbing? wht is it for? my friend did it and she conceived bt now this other sister from the clinic told me that its not safe to do womb scrubbing because theres a possibility that it wil decrease my fertility.

im thinking of doing laporascopy to check if everythin is fine,so whati want to know if it happens that my tubes are blocked wil the Dr be able to unblock them? n also ow long wil i stay in bed after Lap?

Dear Docky,

The term “womb scrubbing” is a colloquial term for a medical procedure called D&C (dilation and curettage). There is absolutely no evidence that by doing a dilation and curettage that this procedure increases your chances of falling pregnant. One does a D&C for diagnostic or therapeutic reasons. Diagnostic reasons such as if somebody has the presence of a polyp or a very heavy menstrual flow that is not responding to medical therapy. I think it is a good idea for you to undergo a laparoscopy as you have mentioned as this will ascertain whether there are any conditions that may effect you fertility and in addition to assess if fallopian tubes are patent. If however the fallopian tubes are blocked but they are not very badly damaged and only the terminal portions are blocked then you may be able to have them so called “unblocked”, this procedure s called tuboplasty. Your doctor or fertility specialist will be able to tell you depending on how damaged the fallopian tubes are whether it is worthwhile to undergo an operation to unblock or open the tubes. If however they cannot be opened surgically then your only other option if they are both blocked is in-vitro fertilization. You will need to stay in bed for about 1 day after the laparoscopy and you may be able to return to work after a week. I would suggest that in addition a semen analysis be done to assess for any male factor problems that may contribute to your infertility.

1
Posted by: R | 2009-08-05

I had a lap yesterday, doc removed my eggs, checked out my tubes and also moved my ovaries into the correct position. I only spent the day in hosp , and am home resting today - no pain at all, just a little discomfort from the gas that they put into you so they can see your insides more clearly.

Reply to R