Question
Posted by: Worried Gal | 2008/07/22

Woke up screaming

Last night I woke up SCREAMING... Not just a scream but a horryfying, spine-chilling, LOUD scream! This completely freaked my boyfriend out (not to mention me). I must' ve been having a nightmare and I don' t actually remember what led me to screaming out loud!

The funny thing is that I feel like life is really great at the moment! Yes, I am slightly stressed seeing as I' m working full-time and studying a Masters but SCREAMING?! What is up with my subconscious? Oh yes, and I had a car accident about a week ago - I wasn' t injured but I was feeling very perturbed about it seeing as I don' t know how it happened! And I' m cleching my jaw really badly in my sleep and can' t control this either!

Do you think I should pay my psychologist a visit or could this just have been some stress manifesting when I sleep?

One doesn't need a subconscious to have such an experience. Nightmares and just bad dreams can include talking or screaming, without one necessarily remembering anything of the dream content. And maybe more likely after a frightening event like the car accident. SO yes, probably a manifestation of stress through sleep. If the jaw clenching continues and worsens ( though it will probably fade away ) some specialist dentists and some psychologists are interested in treating Bruxism ( which is the posh name for tooth grinding.