Question
Posted by: Nicole | 2012/02/20

Woe is me

I wrote in about my iron levels being dangerously low.
I am not sure if I am just being overly-sensitive here, but everything seems huge. I have a specialist that likes you to known nothing and ask nothing. I refused some treatment because I found out it is dangerous for a person with allergies. I have severe allergies. Then my mother comes up with this is all her fault because I was born premature and she could not " keep me in long enough" . I have Asthma and she says my lungs did not develop for the same reason. I said of course not mom, but really? My boss yelled at me today because I did something wrong. I actually didn''t really make a mistake I had not collated something but in all fairness he never gave me a deadline. So we had a massive row about it, I actually raised my voice to him. I am not even supposed to be at work today. I am on heavy duty treatment costing R800pm which I am going to struggle to afford. I feel so darn down, tired, and my boss accused me of being forgetful. I said to him when we were calmer that actually what I have does in fact affect my memory and concentration. Everything seems so BIG - do you think it is just because of the iron thing? I nearly burst into tears to be honest. I am also stressed because he is going to retire and I have no idea what kind of a boss I will be getting and how it is all going to pan out for me. We do not have a decent HR and they fire you in a flash coz they can afford to. I am on treatment for 6 months but I just wonder how long it will take for me to feel better. I am normally so energetic I have been just coasting along on automatic - low hum.

A good specialist wants to help increase your degree of knowledge and should welcome your questions, as treatment of any and all conditions is always more effective if the patient is better informed and their concerns are dealt with and questions answered. It helps, though if you don't arrive with pre-conceived decisions about matters within his expwertise, rather than asking and discussing your concerns and getting his opinion. Iron-deficiency anaemia is a really common condition, and I have never heard of it needing R800 rand a month treatment lasting 6 months. Maybe a second opinion would have been wise, and may still be wise.
Prematurity has nothing to do with allergies, and isn't the mother's fault.
You have been under stress and maybe therefore more irritable and it would also be easier to see things as more dreadful than they really are. ANd surely he is also likely to be feeling stressed if he is shortly to retire ? And thus more irritable and prone to exaggeration, too ?
HR or not, there are laws and regulations requiring any company to treat their workers fairly - maybe you should check out your rights with a labour lawyer or the Dept of Labour ?

4
Posted by: Liza | 2012/02/20

@Atleast - You don''t have a job, you can''t afford your medicine, but you can afford web access? You definitely have your priorities wrong... Besides - you''re unemployed, so you have time to visit your local government clinic - who can provide you with medication. I did the clinic thing for 3 years while I was unemployed, it''s not that difficult.

@Nicole - I know about being fired for being sick. A previous company told me that I had a choice of signing a mutual seperation agreement(and get 2 months salary) or attending a discliplinary hearing for takiing too much sick leave (at which time I would be fired without compensation). I chose to sign the agreement - and then couldn''t find another job for 3 years.

As CS said - A second opinion is definitely called for. I would NEVER trust a specialist who didn''t tell me exactly what he was prescribing to me and why he was prescribing it.

Good Luck
Liza

Reply to Liza
Posted by: Nicole | 2012/02/20

Please do not compare your situation to mine because you do not know anything about it, nor my medical conditions and neither do you have the psychiatric knowledge.

I may not have a job soon (I have been there before) and it took me 5 years to get this one, I cannot afford the medication and I have a dependent and neither do I feel very well and I cannot take off work.

I hope your life improves soon but please do not assume I have never been there.

Reply to Nicole
Posted by: At least | 2012/02/20

you have job, and you can afford medicine. I don''t and I can''t 

Reply to At least