Posted by: Angie | 2009-09-09

Wobbly Knee-cap

Hi there,

I occassionaly suffer from a sore knee. It feels as if the knee-cap is loose. It does sometime hurt.
I am on a mission to loose weight and firm up.... what form of exercise do you recommend that will impact least on my knee.

I really don' t want to stop now. I have come so far (having lost 32kg' s), and I really want to tone up...

Thanks Mr T!

Cycling, swimming, possibly walking. I think you might even be able to work your way up to running, but I wouldn't start there, and I certainly would avoid it if I was battling, because the impact of running will affect it.

If you're at the gym, then it also helps to do some strength training for the muscles of the knee, the quads. Things like squats, leg press, leg extensions. You have to be careful though, because you can make it worse, so always manage the pain, manage the situation, and don't do the activities that cause the pain. This is especially the case if you have a temperamental pain that comes and goes.

So don't let it stop you, just work around it and if it does become limiting, then you really need to consider seeing someone to identify the problem, otherwise you'll just be avoiding important exercise for a long time!