Question
Posted by: Just me | 2009/11/05

Wobbly after session

We had our first session with the therapist, and although my husband said to the therapist he wants to work on and improve our marriage, he threw a wobbly just afterwards. I am waiting for him to calm down now.

I have a question - should my husband be suffering from Narcissistic Personality Disorder, will there be any chance of saving our marriage?

Try, for your own sake, being openly supportive towards him - comment on how you recognize, as he does, how important this is, but how it's hard work and you feel a bit wobbly afterwards.
All Personality Disorders can respond to management, and are present to a varying degree. Don't concentrate on the personality pattern, but on behaviours which one can change. And work with this knowledge - recognize that he will find this much harder than you, and will feel his identity threatened by criticism. Yet with support and encouragement, and support of his ego, he could be helped to change in the ways you would want, and of course to his own benefit

1