Posted by: LC | 2008-11-04

I have postpardum depression and were on Paxil, I recently discovered that it made me gain weight. My baby are 15 months old so now I am trying to stop taking Paxil. For the first 2 weeks I just took an half pill a day and now I must take a half every second day, as my doctor said. But I am as sick as a dog and still working. I have read that I can take 1 Prozac tablet and then it would take away the symptoms. Can I used it while I am breastfeeding?

Dear LC
Prozac and Paxil are "brothers" so you would just be changing one set of problems with another. If you feel that you can't go without an antidepressant ask your doctor if you could try Wellbutrin - I would however not give it if you are still breastfeeding. Your baby is old enough to be weaned, as he/she should be eating quite well at this point and do not need more than 350-500ml of milk per day.