Question
Posted by: Es | 2010/06/25

Withdrawal

Hi, have you heard of an organisation called TRAP (Tranquilizer Recovery and Awareness Plan and the Ashton method of withdrawal) -

NO. I haven't heard of TRAP.
Googling the Ashton Method, it seems to involve using Valium to help in the withdrawal from benzodiazepine tranqullizers, a method that has been used for decades, almost since the benzo's were around and recognized as potentially dependency producing. I recall using it back in the 1960's, but I have no idea who Ashton is or was, or why he / she should be given recognition for this general method. Sometimes an aleady recognized method gets a name from someone publicising or marketing it, rather than someone who actually discovers it. It seems she is a prof at the University of Newcastle in the UK. And she seems to have done some very respectable research and publications. It should be a useful method, as we have found over the decades.
Some of its variants, like Water titration, sound much more dodgy to me.
I'd think you would be best working with a osychiatrist with an interest and experience in benzo withdrawal and dependency management, rather than looking for someone who uses this named method.
As for TRAP, it seems to be one of many places / sources that offer to help with such problems, and is the Tranquillizer Recovery and Awareness PLACE. This seems based in the UK, has its own website, and is a website that promotes the Ashtion method and boook / manual exclusively.
Rather confusingly, I think, the website is " http:// www.non-benzodiazepines.org.uk/ " and it includes an online support forum exclusively dedicated to benzo withdrawal problems

2
Posted by: Es | 2010/06/29

Thanks for your comments - where do I find such a psychiatrist - the one I visited just wants to try more and more SSRI''s etc

Reply to Es

NO. I haven't heard of TRAP.