Question
Posted by: Liz | 2011/06/18

with slightest stress, I log out

I had a tough year nearly 4years ago, my friend had a fatal od and later my childs diagnosis. Both shocked me as I recall. Well since this I finf mentally I can''t cope with anything slightly stressful. I seem to logout, as I hear a particular story quickly I feel a mental overload and its as if the shuttrrs come down for about 20minutes. I don''t feel depressed, infact generally content, work is good. do you think its a type of trauma? & will it ever improve? It does have an impact on my daily life and I think its getting worse

This is at least potentially a reaction to having previously experienced some serious stresses, especially stress in situations where you both wseriously WANTED to be able to solve the problem, but where there was little or nothing you could so about it. Sounds reminiscent of Learned Helplessness ( which you can Google ). A counsellor, especially of the CBT form, could help you change this unhelpful pattern of habits of thought and response which you describe

1