Question
Posted by: Jacqui | 2010/06/14

Winter Headache

Hello

I come from a family of migraine sufferers but since I was put on a low dose of bilocor daily, my migraines are under control.

However, in winter when it is cold and there is cold air on my face (especially on my forhead and nose) I get really painful ''sinus'' headaches. I do not have a stuffy nose nor any cold symptoms. If my face gets cold, I get a headache that can last for days.

I know this sounds ridiculous but I''m beginning to use adco dol daily and I do not like this at all. Any advice for me?

Thank you and kind regards

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Jacqui,

Although the sinuses can play a part in the headache process, it is not nearly as common as people think. Research from headache clinics throughout the world shows that “sinus headache” is the most common misdiagnosis. Just because the pain is in the area of the sinuses, or because the patient has a post-nasal drip or blocked nose when the headache strikes, doesn’t mean that the sinuses are responsible. The most common cause of the symptoms you are experiencing is muscular pain from the jaw muscles. Having said that though, it is important to realize that there are many different structures in the head and neck, all of which can be involved in the headache process. For this reason, a “multidisciplinary assessment”, which combines and integrates the expertise of different specialists who would normally treat headache patients in isolation, into a single more comprehensive body of knowledge is necessary. This enables the different members of the team to provide a co-ordinated treatment plan, so that all the contributing factors are addressed.

This assessment must include a thorough examination of the head and neck muscles to determine the presence of abnormal tension, and of the external carotid vasculature to determine whether there is an arterial element to the pain.

Headache sufferers often have a poor Quality of Life due to the constant pain and associated symptoms. For a free assessment of how your headaches are affecting your Quality of Life, click on http://www.headacheclinic.co.za/

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic (Cape Town, Durban, Johannesburg) on 0861 678 911.

1
Posted by: Headache expert | 2010/06/15

Dear Jacqui,

Reply to Headache expert