Question
Posted by: YummyMummy | 2012-05-21

Winter Appetite

I''ve lost 12kgs since Jan, following the Slender Wonder programme. I went off the injections in April and have lost a further 4kgs (now 16kgs in total) just by continuing with the eating plan and doing moderate exercise in the mornings. With the winter chill slowly on us, my exercise has slowed down and I find that in the past 2 weeks I do not really feel full after eating a salad and protein or my usual fruit snacks. I also crave more hearty and warm meals.
I need to continue loosing weight and was wondering what healthy, low GI meals can I have that will keep me full and warm, but still be able to lose weight.

Dear YummyMummy (Love the name!)
Congratulations on losing those 16 kg - you are a ***star****. Winter is indeed a problem because human beings like all mammals that do not hibernate, tend to crave more food and also food with a higher energy and fat content as the temperature drops. This is a built-in survival strategy, so one way you can prevent the kgs from piling on again, is to satisfy your body with delicious soups made with a variety of vegetables and stock. Add fat-free milk if the recipe calls for a cream-type soup and use a dollop of plain, fat-free yoghurt instead of cream. Eating this a bowl of hot vegetable soup is low in energy, but very satisying and if you have the soup with low-GI bread then it should keep the hunger pangs at bay. Click on 'Diet & Nutrition' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. You can also contact The Glycemic Index Foundation of SA at: www.gifoundation.com to obtain more information, including books that explain the principles of the diet and a variety of recipe books.
Keep up the exercise because it will help to control your weight and keep you warm and fit all winter.

2
Posted by: YummyMummy | 2012-05-22

Much appreciated, thanks

Reply to YummyMummy
Posted by: DietDoc | 2012-05-21

Dear YummyMummy (Love the name!)