Question
Posted by: Kitty | 2011-04-18

Winter

I''ve felt the coldness of my winter
I never thought it would ever go
I cursed the gloom that set upon us...
but I know that I love you so.

Dear CS. Why are winters soooo depressing???? It''s not even fully winter yet, and already I feel like chewing my wrists...okay not really, but I am sad. Winter makes me sad, and perplexed and leads me to contemplate everything, which makes me even more sad??

There are very complex theories as to why this is, involving things like Melatonin, a curious hormone released in the body in response to the extent of one's exposure to light and dark. And in addition, some of us seem especially vulnerable to getting the glooms in gloomy dark weather, and it may be S.A.D., Seasonal Affective Disorder. This can respond to antidepressants, but also to light therapy, as exposure to certain amounts of particular types of bright light for certain times in the day, can help considerably. Some use melatonin which is sometimes available over the counter, but getting the dose and timing right is complex, and it doesn't always help.
Get a bright reading light to work under, and to read in the evenings and weekeneds to distract yourself agreeably and get other things to think about.

4
Posted by: Kitty | 2011-04-18

Thanks doc. We''ve got a little " courtyard"  of sorts here at work, where we go and sit at lunchtime or tea time or whatever. There are benches with little thatch ''roofs'', and I often tell my coleugues who sit in the shade, that I''m going to sit in the sun, becuase the sun makes me feel better, It revitalises my aura or something, and they look at me weird. Okay, but consider the fact that they are all very much over weight and going through menopause, so I often think of how sad their lives must be. Always in the house, always in the shade, always with the aircon on full blast in the office, it''s just so....cold and unpersonal and depressing. Which leads me to wondering how the hell do people in say...england live??? or canada or alaska. I''ll never make it, I''ll be mad wihtin a month.
Anyway, I''m glad I''m not the only one who feels this way. Maybe someone should start a S.A.D blog or forum, where people can chat and share tips on how to make it through the winter and share depressing feelings and what not. LOL

Reply to Kitty
Posted by: Kate | 2011-04-18

I''m on the same page as you guys!
It hasnt started yet but I''m already dreading the start, hopw we make it through this one!
Good Luck guys!

Reply to Kate
Posted by: Same | 2011-04-18

yes, I also get very blue and down in winter.. maybe I should up my anti-depressants. Maybe it is SAD .. seasonable .. something or the other depression - lack of Vit D.

Who know but I''m dreading - wonder if more excercise would help?

Reply to Same