Question
Posted by: dw | 2011/08/18

wine + AD''s

Hi Doc. I see they say to drink 2 glasses of red wine a day decreases dementia. I am on Venlor and when I drink wine (just 1/2 glass) it hits me so quickly. If I drink 2 glasses I am totally drunk and have nausea and feel incredibly tired for the next day or 2. Is this because of the AD?

It doesn't, sadly decrease dementia once one has it, but decreases the risk. Of course any proper doc prescribing ANY drug ought to discuss side-effects, and interactions / precautions with you. Antidepressants like Venlor, and especially some of the older ones, can indeed interact with alcohol, making you more drunk than expected, and alcohol can also reduce the effectiveness of the antidepressant. Discuss this with your doc. If cyou need for some reason to remain on an AD for the long-term, he might choose a different one to maintain you on, which would cause less problems with alcohol ; or you could just concentrate on other steps like exercise and good diet than also reduce the risk

3

Posted by: Asking | 2011/08/19

If wine makes you feel soooo bad and you loose 2 days due to ill effects - why on earth would you drink 2 glasses?
If to avoid dementia you get drunk every day would not dementia be preferable?
If it is caused by the AD and you stopped taking them to enable u 2 drink you may end up as a depressed - would this be advisable to possibly limit your chances of dementia?

Reply to Asking
Posted by: On the other hand | 2011/08/18

Choices..........

Drink - feel sick and get drunk and feel tired for 2 days,but possibly avoid dementia

Dont drink - feel great but possibly suffer from dementia

The choice is yours

Reply to On the other hand