Posted by: khanyi | 2012-07-14

window periods

I did an HIV test at a clinic at 6weeks,12weeks and 25weeks after possible exposure and all three tests were negative then I got a rash on my neck and stomach at 9months so on the 10month I went for a 4th generation HIV-1/2 lab test it came back at the 12 months I gt swollen glands for 2 days then they disapeared .my question is do you according to your experience with the virus think I might have contracted the virus ?

Most people will test positive for HIV after 30 days of infection, although some people only seroconvert at a later stage. 97% of people have antibodies by 3 months after infection and a 6 month window is not common with modern testing.

There have been cases where people tested negative for HIV antibodies after 6 months postexposure but were positive after 12 months of exposure. Taking all this into account, I suggest that you repeat the test once more and if the results are negative, you are HIV negative.