Posted by: Pops | 2009-09-25

Windhoek Light vs Glass of wine

Hi Diet Doc
Thank you for a really fantastic foum which I consult regularly.
Is it better to drink a Windhoek Light beer or a glass of red wine when out on social occasions but still trying to loose weight? I know alcohol should be consumed very moderately when trying to loose weight but which is higher in KJ and carbohydrate value between the two? I couldn' t find full nutritional info for the WIndhoek light, but found the following:
- 2.4% ABV.
- Energy content: 27kcal/100ml
Thank you very much for your advice.

Dear Pops
Thank you for your kind words which are really appreciated. I am faced with a problem when trying to compare energy contents of various alcoholic drinks for my Readers because the SA Food Tables currently available only list average values: beer, alcohol-free 69 kJ/100 ml; beer average, 172 kJ/100 ml; wines average, 298 kJ/100 ml. So if the energy content listed on the Windhoek Light beer (27 kcal = 27 x 4,2 = 113 kJ/100 ml) is correct, then its energy value falls between alcohol-free and standard beer and is definitely lower than the wines. However, you also need to keep in mind that one tends to drink a much larger quantity of beer at one go than of wine, so even if you use a lower energy product like the Windhoek, you may be ingesting more energy than when you have a glass of wine. So measure the volume of beer or wine that you would normally drink in one sitting and then multiply the volumes with the energy values to see which one is less fattening.
Hope this helps