Question
Posted by: Pete | 2012/09/29

Wind chimes are nothing but noise

The clattering jangle of a wind chime is not melodious to my ears and irritates me beyond belief. My neighbour has put up a huge one for Feng Shui purposes outside near my bedroom and after asking nicely she refuses to move it. My days are filled with this irritation and my nights are sleepless whenever the wind blows (as it has done recently). Am I alone with this problem because other people seem to enjoy the sound?.

I very much doubt that wind chimes, at least as usually used today, are part of traditional Feng Shue, which is as usually practised, a bastardised version of a traditional system, often simply invented by the "practitioners".
However, there are so many sound, or even types of music which one person finds soothing, another interesting, another boring, and another intensely irritating.
A HUGE set of chimes seems to defeat the purpose, which is to provide a soft, gentle, random twinling in the wind, not chimes to rival the local church. And they should be inside her home, only near an open window, and in most cases neighbours wouldnt even hear or notice it.
Eve is right - your neighbour is selfish, petulant, and probably enormously vulgar.
Within a complex there should be a body corporate with rules about noise and annoyances and they should have both a right and a duty to stop such nuisancesm just as to stop mpokaying loud music late at night.
In a house its harder, and though there are usually City Council ordinances about noise and nuisance to neuibours, they'd probably not take this seriously. And I discovered years ago, when a neighbour chose to have incredibly noisy drilling through solid rock for a borehole, ONLY therough the night for a week, though its technically an offense to make a noise after sundown - the office that deals with this must witness the problem, and of course closes at 4 pm !
Establishing a rival nuisance could be tempting - whether a louder and more unpleasant set of chimes, or playing loud music of your favourite sort so as to drown out the noise of her charms, but this could lead to further problems.
Maybe a pharmacist can supply ear-plugs ? Or get an Mp3 player loaded with your favourite music, and close her chimes off with the ear-buds and listen to something far more pleasant and restful.

3
Posted by: Possum 20 | 2015/02/24

We have neighbours who have hung clanging chimes on their back verandah which bang all day and night in the wind. Would be find if they were the light tinkling kind but are not! If listening to music or reading, these nightmare or noise drive one batty echoing whether windows open or closed, plus keeps one awake at night, as one tone seems to stand out over any other. What on earth possesses these people to hang these damned noise producing garbage such that it consistently bothers the neighbours? In 40 years of living in cities, this would have to be the noisiest place on the planet.

Reply to Possum 20
Posted by: Eve | 2012/09/29

You sure have a very selfish, inconsiderate neighbour. Do you live in a complex or a free standing house?

If in a complex you could lay a complaint with Body Corporate. If in a free standing house you could climb over the wall and steal it or cut it to threads so it lies in a heap on the ground. Or you could, of course, go one step further and buy a MUCH bigger, noisier one and hang it outside her bedroom window!
You say that its right outside your bedroom, couldnt you tie it up somehow every night?

A million answers but I honestly dont know what I would do if it irritated me. I personally quite enoy the tinkling of a smallish one and after a while one can get used to it and find it quite calming. Good Luck with whatever you decide to do....difficult one this!

Reply to Eve