Question
Posted by: Lilly | 2012/03/04

will this ever go away

I am now thirty years old and suffered with bulimia and anorexia wihen i was younger. the eating disorder came and went and now i think i am somewhat free. I''ve married and had a daughter. I picked up eleven kilos with my baby and 2 years on it''s still a battle to keep it off. So one could effectively say i am well again. however i''ve become obsessed with food in every aspect e.g. shopping lists, menu planning, calorie fascination, eating in secret, lying about my weight, lying about my eating habits. i dont pick up weight, dont lose either, but thoughts of diet are pervasive. one bit of progress i can mention is that prior to my baby i could never eat alone in public, now i can...but only if it''s low calorie and healthy. i would never for instance eat a slice of cake in public by myself. i''d like to think that i am over the disorder, but i think of very little else. when my life feels a bit out of control, my eating habits are the first to be addressed. Oh on the progress front, i''ve also thrown out my scale.
I''m just tired of being so obsessed with this thing. I dont want my child to pick up on this. Our family diet is healthy, but I am not relaxed with food and i will be devasted if i give my daughter an unhealthy relationship with food.

Being obsessed with food, and/or weight is a feature of eating disorder, even if one isn't dieting abnormally, and suggests an incomplete recovery. Yes, you've made some excellent progress, and congratulations for that, but so long as the obsession with size and shape and diet remains, you are still at risk of returning to more active forms of eating disorder - see a good local psychologist to get through the remaining stages of recovery

1