Question
Posted by: Sally | 2012/03/12

Will this ever end?

I''m sad. So unbelievably sad. I''m being treated for depression. And it is helping - sometimes. Most of the time i''m just feel so terrible. Yes - i do count my blessings and i know if have a job and a car and a lovely child. But it is not helping. This feeling of utter total sadness sorrow just overwelms me. The world is such a mess and everything upsets me. From Rhinos, children being hurt, people killing their own parents. And yes i know there are good people and good things happening. But it is not helping. Is there hope? Will i ever feel better? Am i going to live the rest of my life in utter and total despair?

It is well established by research that depression is much more than simply feeling sad ( not that feeling sad is ever simple ) - it includes a whole shift in what one notices in the world, how one interprets it, and what one concludes. If being too cheerful is looking at the world through rose-coloured glasses, as the old cliche went, then being depressed is looking at the world through dark grey glasses.
At all times through the world's history, bad things have happened - in the modern world due to modern media, you're much more likely to hear about it, so we get the impression that things are getting worse.
But many awful things that used to happen now don't happen, good people have managed to limit the occurrenace of bad stuff, to limit the damage it causes when it arises, and to be more effective in helping victims.
What I really strognly recommend is that you seek a specific form of counselling called CBT, Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy, which in a sense takes off those dark grey glasses, and helps one to give up persistently negative assumptions about the world ( which are as unrealistic and even less helpful than persistently over-positive assumptions ) and to see the world realistically, and to see how one can meaningfully help to improve things.

3
Posted by: Sally | 2012/03/12

I''ve been on medication for about 10 years now and seeing a psychologist regularly for the last 10 years. Now i''m thinking... After 10 years - shouldn''t there at least be an improvement? Where am i going with this? I actually think it is just getting worse and worse over the years...

Reply to Sally
Posted by: yvonne | 2012/03/12

Good day,
I know how you feel I am there. The treatment that you mention how long have you been on it? It will get better but unfortunately there still will be bad days but as soon as your treatment starts to work the good days will be a lot less then the bad days. That I can promise you. Just keep on your treatment and remember you are not the only one. We sometimes forget that there is other people out there that feel the same way we do.
Good luck to you I will think of you.
I

Reply to yvonne