Question
Posted by: Belinda | 2009-03-12

Will it help

I am a healthy 37y old mom of 3 children. I have had a thorough medical checkup and live a normal life - not stress free but certainly not over the top. The problem is that I am so tired all the time. Especially in the afternoons - I have zero energy and cant wait for 7h30pm when the kids go to bed so I can as well. As I have said, there is nothing wrong physically. I really want to feel better, so I have undertaken to eat my required veg and fruit portions - basically encorporating all the things you have taught as well as go for a walk 4 times a week. My question is this - will it really make a difference and how long does it take to notice it. My one very unhealthy habit is that I drink 5 cups of coffee a day all with 3 heaped spoons of sugar. I have tried so many times to give uo sugar, but I just cant and I dont like the sweetners, so I would rather just have one cup a day than none at all. Is sugar really that bad for you (apart from a calorie perspective)

thanks
Belinda

Dear Belinda
Any Mom with 3 children will suffer from tiredness. If you did have your blood iron, glucose and thyroid tested and were given a clean bill of health, then you are probably just tired because you have to do so much each day. Eating a well balanced diet and going for the walks will make a great difference. I am at present not able to go on my daily walk (knee injury) and I feel exhausted. So paradoxically doing exercise esp in the fresh air, may make you physically tired just after walking, but the overall effect is very positive. Now about that sugar! Sugar as such is not really as bad as it is always made out to be, but you are ingesting 5 x 3 x 10 (heaped spoons you say) = 150 g of sugar per day. That is too much and it could lead to problems down the line. Try to re-educate your tastebuds by having 2,5 t in each cup of coffee for at least a week, then 2 t per cup for a week and so on until you are down to 1 teaspoon per cup of coffee per day: 5 x 5 (flat teaspoons!) = 25 g of sugar/day which is perfectly reasonable. Give it a try.
Good luck with the new programme and may your energy increase soon.