Question
Posted by: bf mom | 2012-05-28

will it effect my milk supply?

I am currently 76.1kg after giving birth to my 4 month year old baby girl. I used to be 60, so i put on a lot of weight during pregnancy. I really want to lose at least 10kgs again and I have cut out milk and bread, white starches. margarines, starchy and sugary fruits, cut out sugar and i''m weighing my cheese intake. Will this effect my milk supply if I start losing weight? and will my baby be getting all the nutrients that she needs if i cut out all these things? I eat crackerbreads for my carbs and eat lean proteins and yoghurt as well.

Dear BF Mom
Congratulations on the birth of your baby girl. It is possible to lose weight during breastfeeding without affecting your milk supply, but you should not use an unbalanced diet to achieve weightloss as this will affect the composition of your breast milk and be detrimental to your baby. Practically the most important foods in a lactating woman's diet, are milk and dairy products because of: a) their high calcium content which is easily available to the human body, b) the high protein content and c) the high vit B2 content. Now you mention that you have cut out milk which means that instead of getting 1 mg of bioavailable calcium per ml to ensure that you actually ingest the 1200 mg of calcium baby and you require every day, you will be depriving yourself and your baby of this vital food. I would recommend that you have 4 servings of low-fat or fat-free milk, yoghurt and/or cottage cheese every day (1 serving = 1 cup of milk or yoghurt, or 1/2 cup of cottage cheese). In addition to having this high calcium content, research has shown that low-fat milk and dairy products actually promote weightloss! You can replace bread with high-fibre crackers because you need to obtain some dietary fibre in your diet to prevent constipation. Don't cut out all fruit because citrus fruits (oranges, lemons, grapefruit, naartjies, etc), apples, plums and pears are all low-GI fruits which can be used in a low-fat, low-GI diet for weightloss.
Cutting out margarine, sugar and other cheeses (which are high in fat) should not affect your baby's development, but do take some omega-3 and -6 capsules to help your baby's brain and nervous system to develop optimally. Start doing daily exercise to stimulate weightloss, e.g. go for long walks in the fresh air with baby.

2
Posted by: Purple | 2012-05-29

While breastfeeding you should eat a normal healthy diet with food from all the food groups.

Your body will make good quality milk regardless of what you eat (even mothers living in famine conditions produce good quality milk), however, it will take its toll on you and your body if you don''t eat well.

Its best to eat a variety of foods in moderation.

Breastfeeding does use up extra kilojoules, so if you are eating healthily, the weight will come off - though it will take about as long to come off as it took to put on.

Reply to Purple
Posted by: DietDoc | 2012-05-29

Dear BF Mom