Question
Posted by: Minnie | 2012/09/14

Will I lose weight?

Dear Dietdoc.

I would like to know if I follow a healthy diet to lose weight. I exercise 4-5 times a week at the gym. One day of the week will be a cardio session and the rest is moderate weight training. I am 28 years old 162 cm tall and my bmi is normal. I would like to lose about 5-6kg as I am not comfortable in my clothing due to winter weight gain.

My daily (weekdays) diet consists of:

Breakfast: cooked oats or mieliepap with half a sugar no milk or breakfast cereal like whole-wheat pronutro of corn flakes with fat free milk half a sugar and coffee with no sugar and fat free milk

Snacks: 8 almonds (raw), apple, nectarine, small hand full of dried fruit

Lunch: 4 provitas or one cup mix veg and basil pesto and a cup of coffee

Dinner: usually 2 veggies, meat or chicken and rice (I do not have control over what I receive to eat at night as I am staying at a guest house until the property I have purchased is registered in my name, thus I try to save calories during the day to make up for the evening meals).

Weekends I eat whatever I can find, but still try to have a moderate approach to everything.

Kindly advise me.

Many thanks

Minnie

Dear Minnie
The diet you describe is reasonable except that you should try to add an additional 2 servings of low-fat milk, yoghurt or cottage cheese to ensure that you ingest 1200 mg of calcium a day. Research has also indicated that slimming diets that include 3 servings of low-fat milk or dairy products a day, promote weightloss more efficiently than diets that avoid milk and dairy.
If your BMI is already normal and equals 22 or less, then it is not a good idea for you to try and lose another 5-6 kg. Let's say your BMI = 22 (the ideal for adult women), then you probably weigh 57,6 kg. If you lose 6 kg you would only weigh 51,6 kg thus having a BMI of 19,7 which already borders on the anorexic range and leaves you without any reserves in case changes in health. By all means eat a balanced diet and do plenty of exercise, but don't force your body to lose weight If your BMI is already 22 or less.

1

Dear Minnie