Question
Posted by: lolly | 2012/09/10

WILL I EVER BE CURED ?

I am almost 40, was diagnosed with aborexia at 16, and spent two weeks in a Clinic specialising in disorders. I am 1.65 in height and weigh 49 kg''s. I have managed to have two healthy daughters, but I cant just let go and enjoy my food. I am paranoid about getting fat and when I do eat a big meal I will exercise like a maniac. My doctor just prescribes medication to make me eat more but then I wont take the tablets !

Expert ImageEating Disorders Expert

Hello Lolly,
I do not believe that anyone cannot work towards their recovery from an eating disorder. You remain slightly underweight now, and it is clear that you remain invested in having a low appetite or eating minimally. You have possibly been anorexic for almost half your life, but it is concerning if the only treatment you received was 2 weeks of inpatient care. Recovering from an eating disorder requires very hard and long-term treatment. This would involve individual and maybe family psychotherapy, dietetic management, psychiatric medication, and the possibility for a more lengthy clinic admission to a specialist unit.
Regards,
Graham

2
Posted by: Mary | 2012/10/01

Well done on having had your daughters! I have suffered the same condition for about as long as you have and am unfortunately unfurtlie now. Keep strong, it is not an easy process. Just be aware that this might pass on to your girls. There is some evidence appearing that it may be genetic. My grandmother was the same and both my sister and I have been suffering. Good luck!

Reply to Mary
Posted by: Eating Disorders Expert | 2012/09/16

Hello Lolly,
Regards,
Graham

Reply to Eating Disorders Expert