Question
Posted by: Marlize | 2011/02/13

Wight loss

I eat healthy food and I cant lose wight and I stay hungry, what can cause this problem (I am a vegetarian)

Dear Marlize
If your diet contains more energy than you require on a daily basis despite the fact that it contains mainly healthy vegetarian foods then it will not help you to lose weight. To lose weight you need to reduce your energy intake by eating a low-fat diet and simultaneously increase your energy output by doing exercise on a daily basis. The fact that you say that you are always hungry indicates that you may be eating foods with a high glycaemic index (GI) or that you have a problem with your blood sugar and insulin levels. I would recommend that you consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). Let the dietitian check what and how much you are eating so that she/he can determine if you are exceeding your energy intake and if you have problems like low blood sugar or insulin resistance. The dietitian will advise if you need to have additional tests for any potential problems and also help you with a low-fat, low-GI slimming diet. Combine the diet with an aerobic exercise (brisk walking, skipping, swimming, cycling, etc - select an exercise that you enjoy doing) for 30 min a day.

1

Dear Marlize