Question
Posted by: supportive husband | 2012/01/18

Wife Struggling to lose Weight

Good Day

Myself and my wife are both rather overweight. we have both been struggling with the weight our entire lives.

we recently started a diet , dr Cohen''s Diet.
we have reduced our caloric intake to about 2000 Kcals per day.

Low fat , low GI , minimal red meat , and more fresh veggies.

I consume about 500 Calories more per day than my wife as I am taller than her.

I have managed to lose 3 centimeters and about 3 Kilos during that past 2 and a half weeks. I drink a minimum of 3 liters of water per day.

However , my wife is struggling very much. she has lost only n Kilogram. and is very depessed about this.

can there be an underlying cause that she does not lose weight fast enough?

Here is my Menu for today.

1 Egg , 80 Grams Tomato and 2 Cracjer Breads - ( Breakfast)

1 Packet of Mixed nuts - 10 o clock snack

3 Cracker Breads , 120 Grams Cauliflower and 80 Grams Low fat cheddar cheese ( Lunch)

1 Apple - Snack

120 Grams Fish ( steamed) , 120 Grams VEggies ( Dinner)

I take a multivit , and Omega 3,6,and 9 supplement daily.

Any help will be appreciated?

Paul

Dear Paul
It is so refreshing to hear about a 'supportive husband' and that you and your wife are helping each other to stick to your diet to lose weight. Unfortunately it is a known fact that men and women generally lose weight at different rates which is due to the difference in their Basic Metabolic Rate (BMR). The BMR is the quantity of energy (kcal) that the human body requires to maintain its basic functions (breathing, digestion, heartbeat, maintenance of body temp, etc), even when the individual is resting and not doing any exercise whatsoever. Men have a higher BMR than women, which is to some extent due to the androgenic hormones such as testosterone. It is, therefore, frustrating, but perfectly normal for your wife to lose less weight than you do in a given period of time, even if she uses the same diet and does the same amount of exercise. Female hormones and metabolism are more geared to storing energy (in case of pregnancy/breastfeeding demands) than those in men. Your lady will have to be patient and possibly do some extra aerobic exercise to help her weightloss. In regard to weightloss, the sexes are alas not equal. But with your support and encouragement, your wife should be able to lose a meaningful amount of weight.

1

Dear Paul