Question
Posted by: James | 2010/04/29

Wife HIV+ &  wanna a child

My wife is HIV+ and I''m HIV-, we wanna have a child, so is it possible and will the child not get infected? where can we get more info? i would appreciate if i can get the contacts of the doctor i can speak to. How will she get pregnant?
We are in JHB.

Dear James

The best way for you to try and achieve a pregnancy if your wife’s fallopian tubes are normal is by a process of Artificial Insemination. However you should try and only achieve this process once your wife is on treatment and her CD4 count is high and her viral load is undetectable. Under these circumstances this will give your potential child the least amount of chance of being affected with HIV. So the answer t your question of whether the child would be affected or not is that there is a high chance of transmission of the virus if a pregnancy occurs when the CD4 count is low and the viral load is high. In addition once a pregnancy occurs ARV’s would either need to be continued or be given if it hasn’t been started and to avoid breastfeeding and to have a caesarean section. All of the following above would then decrease the chance of transmission to a much lower level.

Answered by: Dr. Y.M. Dasoo

4
Posted by: Zama | 2010/06/02

Do you have a fertility experts in Durban that you can recommend?i am HIV+ for about a year now and not on treatment and my hubby is HIV-,we both don''t have children and want one.Do i have to wait until i am on treatment to undergo the artificial insemination procedure?????

Reply to Zama
Posted by: Jae | 2010/05/03

HI

For James : yes its possible you can talk to a gynie or fertility specialist about iui (intrauterine insemination)procedure

For Sizo: yes its possible same as above but with you its have to invlolve the sperm wash

Reply to Jae
Posted by: sizo sibisi | 2010/05/03

Sorry I had the same question.

Reply to sizo sibisi
Posted by: Sizo Sibisi | 2010/05/03

My wife is HIV- and I''''m HIV+, we wanna have a child, so is it possible and will the child not get infected? where can we get more info? i would appreciate if i can get the contacts of the doctor i can speak to. How will she get pregnant?
We are in Durban

Reply to Sizo Sibisi