Question
Posted by: Ronald | 2013/01/21

Wieght training ok if u are 16?

hi
I just turned 16 and I would like to know if it is okay for me to start wieght training and if it would stun my growth?and if it is okay for me to start wieght training what is the corect size weights to gym with?

Expert ImageBiokinetics expert

HI Ronald,

At age 16, it is fine to do weight training but you should be very cautious when training with heavy weights.

Difficult for me to advise which weights, I need to know your height and weight and strength potential before I can advise. Do weights which are 6-7/10 of effort.

Regards,
Habib

2
Posted by: Ronald | 2013/01/22

ok thx for the help but i was also wondering about doing squats? should I rather do another leg exercise because I have heard that squats are bad for your knees

Reply to Ronald
Posted by: Peter | 2013/01/22

Yes, it''s OK to start weight training at 16, correct size of weights would depend on you of course and how much you can handle, ideally, start with small weights and increase their sizes the more strength/muscle you gain. It''s better if you mix the size of the weights (i.e. today you train with slightly bigger weights, tomorrow you train with slightly smaller weights). As to growth, weight lifting will do nothing more but increase muscle size, everything else is genetics. Also, make sure you use a good body lotion or bio-oil (softens the skin). Some people who weight train are prone to getting stretch marks. However, it depends on your skin type. But nevertheless, take care of your skin.

Reply to Peter