Posted by: Dahlia | 2012-08-07

Widespread Tinea on Oral Rx

Good day CyberDoc

I''m a young lady with ringworm on my arm, which I was using Clotrimazole cream for with no effect. Weeks later I noticed a few more lesions on my neck, so went for a prescription. I''m on day 8 of Griseofulvin 500mg daily, which I''m taking with milk (got a 4 week prescription). The infection seems to be spreading, however, and I now have it all over body (but not scalp, feet or nails), despite washing bedding, clothes etc. I have no other illnesses.

My question is this: I know fungal infections are quite stubborn, but how long should the pills take to start having an effect? At which point do I have to start worrying that it''s a resistant strain?

Second question: What can I use on my skin in the meantime? It''s too large an area to rub Clotrimazole cream on, so I''ve been using a vinegar spray, which dries the lesions out n helps trememdously with the itching, but it dries the skin out terribly. Won''t applying a lotion like Calamine just help it spread (as I''m rubbing it on the skin)?

Please advise.

Thanking you in advance :)

The fungal infection should respond well to the oral anti-fungal medication. The skin rash should disappear within a weeks time. You will have to reconsult your doctor for blood tests to determine if your immune system have been compromised.