Question
Posted by: Free at last | 2010/04/12

Wicked boss

This is a celebration post.

For the First time in years I am free of depression and antidepression drugs. AND how did I do it.... I quit my job. I had a wicked boss that went out of her way to make my life a living hell. I had no choice but to stay, if I wanted to feed my family.

Then God sent a miracle and I could quit and still look after my family''s needs. Now she has no control over me at all... farewell you evil person. I will pray for you to come to your senses...

Purple is entirely right - this sounds very like Constructive Dismissal, where a nasty employer deliberately tries to make your work life so miserable that you will quit, and she won't have to go through the necessary steps to fire you. And her points should be noted by anyone else with a nasty employer

3
Posted by: Purple | 2010/04/12

Well done.

You should consider approaching the CCMA regarding constructive dismissal (this is where you resign because someone has made your life intollerable).
Where you leave wiht no job to go to it makes your case much stronger, but there are a few people who have won even when they have found a new job.
What she did to you must truly be horrendous, it can''t just be a subjective feeling of being badly treated.

Bullying behaviour such as giving purposefully unclear instructions so that they can yell at you rin front of others for not getting it right is usually the start of this. They know that no matter what you do it won''t be right because they know their instruction can be interpreted in many ways. When you ask for clarity you get told how stupid you are for not being able to figure it out for yourself.

From there it degenerates into serious verbal abuse, phone calls when you have just left the office to tell you that you didn''t do certain things (which you never knew you had to do in the first place).
Creating work that is completely lacking in purpose but means you have to come in over the weekend and stay late in the evenings to finish it for some crucial but fictitious deadline.

Keeping a little book where they write down every time you are 30 seconds late for work, answer a personal call from your mother because your granny has had a heart attack and so on.

You are free now, but getting some money out of her might make her think twice before she does this to someone else.

Reply to Purple
Posted by: Lin | 2010/04/12

Good for you!

Reply to Lin