Posted by: Nosipho | 2011-10-27

Why the specific timing with Androcur?

Pls tell me what your understanding is of how women are to take Androcur 50mg. For my first month on it, my doctor told me to take one pill every Mon, Wed and Fri. The 2nd pack, he said day 1 of the cycle to day 14. This third pack, he says I must take it outside of my cycle i.e. when the bleeding has completely stopped.Why such disparity? On the pack itself, it says day 5 -19 I think. When exactly shd this drug be taken? During the cycle, after the cycle, what? I am so confused. I know Androcur is an anti-androgen and thus it makes sense to time it when it can be most effective. But I can''t understand why I shd now take the 3rd course outside of my cycle.

Does tihs drug work with the cycle or not? How have you typically seen it prescribed? (for severe cystic acne and hirsutism, no PCOS). For what reason is it typically prescribed to be taken when there is active bleeding? Perhaps if I can understand how the active ingredient actually works, I can make sense of my doctor''s instructions. He just tells me to take it as he says but I want to understand the clinical reason behind the different timings, or at least the clinical reason this drug is taken during the menses.

Unfortunately, I do not have much experience in prescribing this drug. I am sure that your doctor has good experience prescribing this product. Please be so kind as to advise the reason for Androcur being prescribed to you. Refer to the following article about Androcur:

I also suggest that you reconsult your doctor and ask him for an explanation and redirect these questions to him as well.