Question
Posted by: Martie | 2012-09-25

Why study?

Dear Doc, I am a 38 year old woman who works at an admin job due to financial reasons (I am the breadwinner of my family and also care for my mother financially.)However, I have always been interested in the sciences and recently I completed my BSc degree (on a part time basis while working full time). Now I decided to carry on doing an honours degree, which entails me taking extra modules in for a few years (as my BSc was not in the subject I want to do my honours degree in) and thereafter doing the honours degree also on a part time basis while still working at my usual job. I work long hours at the office, travel a few hours every day and still have to look after my health and cook at home, where I also run a small business for an extra income. My remaining time I tend to spend on my studies. I also go through the normal stresses around exam and assignment times adding to the general stress of my busy life. Now the problem is that I am to old to enter the world of the sciences and work my way up. With all my financial responsibilities I just cannot take an entry level job paying R5000 per month and survive. Also few employers would take a woman in her 40''''s wanting to be a scientist! This means that I am basically studying as a hobby, enriching my mind but adding little else to my life in general, except more stress and very little "  free"  time. My friends have been asking me why do I keep on studying as it can lead nowhere and just steals a lot of my time I could be exercising or resting or working on my business or spending time with my family. In the end, taking into account the thousands of rands I spend on University fees and countless hours I put into studies which I will never use in my life, is it worth it to continue (with this hobby...)?

What you're doing is admirable, but not easy ; but usually well worth it. Enriching one's mind is a worthy aim ; if it enables one to take a different better paying job, maybe even part-time, that's a bonus. But discuss with your teachersd, who know your particular fields, what job opportunities there are.

1