Question
Posted by: Want to know? | 2008/08/05

Why so scared?

I would like to know why men are so scared of doctors and hospitals, being the supposed braver species? Woman need to go through all the crap in life, periods, pregnancy and childbirth, not to mention contraception. It is after all us that get pregnant.

I want more children and my DH doesn’ t, so I suggested that he goes for the snip, and he is so scared to go. It is a minor procedure compared to the female one. So why? He admits that he is scared and cannot let anybody work down there, case closed. So all the responsibility is again on me?!?!

MEN as a species are not specifically so scared. SOME men are, just as some women are. Where there are differences confirmed by research, is in how we respond to symptoms --- men are less likely to complain, to tell anyone, or to seek advice. It doesn't seem to arise from being scared, but more from not wanting to make a fuss, and perhaps with the idea that if you don't take it seriously, it'll go away.
But men are, indeed, notoriously queasy about the snip. Heck, even when it was adviseable, I couldn't face taking my previous (male) cat to the vet for a snip !

2
Posted by: Curious | 2008/08/05

Can tell doc is a man - " men don' t complain"  yeah right!!

I find when he cuts or bruises himself he is very brave but don' t give him an internal pain.

As for the snip. My husband made several appointments and then " forgot"  about them.

Reply to Curious
Posted by: Want to know | 2008/08/05

Doc, had to laugh, and sure other ladies will too. " men are less likely to complain, to tell anyone, or to seek advice. "  Except when they are sick, they are worse than kids.

But I get what you are trying to say. Just need to figure this one out, don' t know how. I have been talking about it for month now and still no budge!

Reply to Want to know