Question
Posted by: Speedy | 2012/10/02

Why so fast ?!!!!

Hi Doctor. I would like to find out why I do everything so fast. I am an anxious person and having seen a physciatrist have tried so many medications so far with no luck (cilift, rivotrol, lexmor (?), fluxaxol 0.5mg, risperdol, esperide, lyrica, Ritalin etc etc etc etc etc etc I cant think of the rest of the names right now) and have now tried fluanxol 1mg per day and adco alzam 0.5g when needed. The fluanxol I am not so sure of yet, but adco alzam works like a dream although I have been on higher doses about a year ago. My question is, if my main symptom is ANXITEY (fear of the future) and speedy gonzales what is the best treatment for me ??? I am 37 yrs old and have two over-achiever daughters aged 8 and 11 yrs. I wasnt quite like them as a child, but came close. I am now a BIG achiever at work and can knuckle down and do what has to be done and so much more (I am THE axis that keeps my company turning), but I just CANNOT SIT STILL. I DO NOT watch TV (too boring and too s l o w), I EAT fast, I DRINK FAST, I READ fast, I WRITE fast, I TALK fast, I THINK fast, I have even started to DRIVE fast, I HATE being bored so am always LATE and havent come to grips with everyone else" s timelines (my own timeframe is WAY too important haha, kidding ! ) & mdash & mdash & mdash  that is one of the reasons why my phyciatrist put me on Ritalin, but I felt so disgusting and spaced out on it I thought I was going to make a huge mistake at work so gave it up after 3 days (I CANNOT BELIEVE THEY GIVE THAT STUFF TO KIDS !!!).... So what can I suggest to him next ?? What would you recommend ? Thanks so much .

Have you any answers to the question of why you choose to do everything so fast ? I can't make sense of the long list of very different meds your psychiatrist has prescribed for you : what diagnosis did he make ? It makes no sense to prescribe meds unless one has made a good, sound, diagnosis according to proper criteria.
Alzm is one of a large family of drugs one can become dependent on ( which is not a good thing ) but which are sedative tranquillizers which should calm you somewhat, but they can be disinhibiting, like alcohol, so one's judgement might not be so good when influenced by those drugs. And some people get hyperactive on them.
I wonder about the quality and quantity of your work - often people who rush can get a lot done, but at a lower quality than if they took their time over the tasks.
All this rushing about to save time - do you really usefully use the time saved ? I wonder whether trying Cognitive=-behaviour Therapy ( CBT ) from a good psychologist might be helpful - to better understand WHY you behave as though so driven, so rushing needlessly, and to examine the ideas that accompany this behaviour, and test them, to see which might be usefully revised, so you could enhance efficiency while slowing down a little to better enjoy life on the way.

5
Posted by: 40''ish | 2012/10/03

i have that same problem. I find tv so boring i do knitting or laptop or something else with it otherwise i cant stand it.

I also am never ever late and i will actually call ahead to warn kids to wait for me outside i''ll be there in 5 minutes or 15 and God protect them if they are not waiting when i get there.

i try to eat slow i cant. I even drink wine fast and get pissed.

I cant wait for anyone or anything!

Reply to 40''ish
Posted by: Peace be Yours | 2012/10/03

Sounds like you need to join a Yoga Class and learn how to meditate. It worked wonders for me and helped me get and keep in touch with my body, soul (not religion) and mind. Your speediness is not getting you very far fast. You will still get to where you want to go if you go about it slowly and thoughtfully.
Your speediness will have an effect on your children and the problem is you wont know what effect until its too late, so just calm down for all your sakes.

Bipolar used to be referred to as Manic Depression. Google this and find out if you do have any of the symptoms.

Agree with you on the Ritalin issue. My eldest, now adult and a wonderful person, was prescribed this at age six. She was on it for about 10 days and I took the whole lot and chucked it in the dustbin - never looked back!

Reply to Peace be Yours

Posted by: Speedy | 2012/10/02

My worst part is rushing my precious daugthers along. I dont want to rush them anymore, that is what made me notice this is not normal. Please help me calm down for their sake, they are nothing like me and I dont want them ever to be like me or suffer what I suffer.

Reply to Speedy
Posted by: Speedy | 2012/10/02

Is this what is considered MANIC or bipolar ??!!! What does manic mean ??

Reply to Speedy