Posted by: Anna King | 2009-12-15

why should I get a bone density test?

I am 63 and have been on weekly Aiendronate Sodium 70 MG tablets for about 6 years. I have had 3 bone Density tests, the last one being in 2007.

My doctor wanted me to have another bone density test this year. Each year, my test show a modest, but positive gain. This year, I would have to pay to the test myself. He agreed I could wait. After several tests, do I really need any more? If so, how often? The test isn' t going to change what I am taking.

What do you think?

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Anna
The only way to monitor efficacy of therapy is to have a bone density done. The new take on bisphosphonates (alendronate etc) is to take them for no longer than 5-6 years and to either have a 'drug free" holiday for a year or two and evaluate bone density again, or if there was a decline in bone density to try another drug. You can phone me at the Foundation for more info- 021 9317894